Columbus Gifted Academy PTO
Location: Karl Road Library
Meeting Called To Order By: Eve Hathaway
Time: 6:32 p.m.
Minutes of 06/18/2015 meeting not read because they are available online/summer structure
Introductions of Interim Exec Board
Dr. Boyle Introduction of CGA Director Amanda Reidenbaugh
Amanda Reidenbaugh speaks about her experiences:
- 17th year in columbus city schools
- Started at 21 years of age helping students re-enter education and earn their high school diploma *Sidenote: 25% student who drop out are gifted & talented
- “It is my privilege to be here to serve your students, it’s the opportunity of the lifetime.”
- She is a servant leader – removing obstacles so that people can do the work they need to do. Getting conditions right for reaching full potential every day.
- She wants the program to be a model for gifted instruction, staff is unified around that goal. Everyone is motivated.
- I will not make decision without bringing parent leadership to the table.
- *Promises open door policy, very accessible to parents/staff
President: Eve Hathaway
Discussed the laid back approach to summer meetings, asked for patience as the group starts from scratch, thanked the large number of parents interested
Vice President: Christina McMenemy
Read committees in need of volunteers (all)
Treasurer: Robert Meeker
- Current PTO bank account is set up
- Raise 101% of our goal $1,313
Communications Chair: Valerie Rake
- Gave out website address: ColumbusGiftedAcademy.com
- People are invited to write for the site, to become more than simply posting of events.
- Her goal is to have a digital and physical newsletter in addition to the website.
- Don’t forget to sign up for the newsletter.
Spruce Up Day needs volunteers
Discussion on how to to sign up to volunteer
Neighbors will be involved as well, and GV biz association
Six areas of the school will need attention
- Beck Street School 6:30 p.m.
Announcement for Board Candidates:
While the entire interim board is willing to stay on board, the floor is open to anyone else who would like to toss their hat into the ring.
A form will go up on the website to solicit candidates and the slate will be announced at the August meeting. Candidates will be voted at the September meeting when all of the parents have had a chance to become involved with the PTO.
Form creation will be announced via the website, email newsletter.
Recommended donation for PTO membership:
- $5, however no one will be turned away. Members must contribute something even if it is under the recommended $5.
- Dues will begin to be collected soon.
SENG: Supporting Emotional Needs of Gifted Parenting
- A resource for families that can be found online
- The school is interested in Parent Discussion Groups Leaders Opportunities, Parenting source library, Parenting education nights
Another parent resource:
Columbus Pace Group, Support group for the entire district
Meeting ended with breakout groups to meet about Spruce Up etc.