Meeting Date: October 09, 6:00 PM
Meeting Location: Columbus Gifted Academy
Call to Order @ 6:00 pm
Ms. R.’s Report
- Recap of recent events: Cardboard Challenge; Skating party
- NovemberFest coming up on November 17
- Elementary grades raised $574 for Mitchell Middle School in Houston
- Great Lakes Regional Apple Crunch on Thursday, October 12
- End of first quarter is approaching; parent conferences are November 8th and 16th; look for information from your scholar’s teacher(s)
- Reemphasize that board policy and teacher contracts require parents / guardians schedule meetings / visits to classrooms and cafeteria in advance (though there isno official window of how far in advance); the teacher is always first point of contact for academic concerns, though Ms. R is always available
- Upcoming activities and travel are on the school website: http://www.columbusgiftedacademy.ccsoh.org/
PTO Board Reports
- 189 paid admissions at the skate party; biggest attendance yet; another skate party in January
- Dine & Donate – restaurant night on October 3 at Short North Deli – raised $147
- Will be more restaurant nights; details tbd
- report on ELMO’s; anticipated being able to buy 8 units based on approved budget, but got a good deal on a different model, so were able to purchase 14 (2 per grade level and 2 floaters); balance will be held for other needs
- Box Tops due October 22, but can be turned in at any time; PTO earned about $500 last year.
- Question about relationship between PayPal balance and available cash
- Looking at platforms that can help consolidate information, communication, membership management, sales, member directory
Events and Activities
Big Give and No-Stress Fundraiser – October 10 through October 20
- Board wanted a fall fundraiser that did not involve selling things or other complicated activities
- Big Give – Columbus Foundation – 26 hour push for donations – from 10 AM Tuesday to noon Wednesday. Foundation will cover credit card transaction fees for donations in that window, plus organizations will have a share of the bonus pool of money. Giving during the Big Give thus amplifies impact of your donation.
- If you can’t manage the $20 minimum donation for the Big Give, we have the opportunity to donate to the PTO via PayPal. PTO will also be accepting donations through October 20th via PayPal or cash / checks. An envelope will be sent home with scholars.
- Goal $5000; whole school prizes as we reach different amounts
NovemberFest – November 17
- Focus on community experience; fun place to hangout, get a meal
- Scholar craft area; art contest (Phoenix in any medium or discipline); YouTube Jukebox; will try to have the gym open for free play;
- For the scholar craft area, students can raise funds for any school related activity
- One of 3 $25 gift cards; random number generator used to select winners
- Stephen Hardwick, Karlyn Geis, Veronica Montgomery
- Now that we are starting on our 3rd year and have an bank balance, we think it is important to purchase Board Insurance – Liability Insurance
- Plan used by many other PTO’s would be $614 / year. A higher-level plan would also cover PTO property, but we don’t think that is useful at this time.
- questions asked about the liability amount, who the policy is through, and whether it includes bonding for board members.
- motion made to purchase Board Insurance. Seconded. Approved
Ms. R recognized 2 teachers attending: Ms. Alder and Ms. Pappa.
- Question about whether the board has had a CPA do a formal audit. Not yet, because we are only in our 3rd year. We should do that this year.